Monday, August 9, 2010

New Beginnings


Hi! I’m Sara and I’m a junior at Hobart and William Smith Colleges (HWS) in Geneva, New York. This fall though, I won’t be spending my days overlooking the beautiful Seneca Lake, but rather around Victoria Harbor in Hong Kong, as I will spend 4 months studying at Lingnan University, trying new things and challenging myself in a new location.
A change of scenery is always a good thing; something new and different, something outside one’s comfort zone. With an HWS education, students are encouraged to become ‘global citizens’ or citizens who are actively involved in the local and global community and are able to make connections between the two. Studying abroad provides students this opportunity to become a global citizen as one becomes a part of another culture by experiencing it.  In just eight short days, my journey to becoming a global citizen continues when I board the plane my 16 hour-long ride.

                                                                                                      Photo Credit: Lingnan University

My journey to becoming a global citizen began long before today. Throughout high school, I frequently traveled as a Student Ambassador for People to People; I’ve been to China, Europe, South America and Antarctica. These trips provided me with a foundation and understanding of other cultures as well as my own. Experiencing different cultures allowed me to reflect on my own culture while learning to accept the differences.
You may be asking yourself, “Why Hong Kong?” I’ve been asked that question multiple times over the past few months; even when I first went to China in 2006, people always asked why, when I said I was going to China. And well, I have a few reasons:

1.     Why Not? When I came home from China in 2006, I was a different person. I fell in love with the culture and have always dreamed of going back. My trip in 2006 was scheduled to spend 2 days in Hong Kong, but due to weather and flight cancelations, we barely spent 24 hours there (which is why I decided to name my blog- More than 24 Hours) and I have always wanted to go back. When the opportunity came for me to study abroad in Hong Kong, I didn’t have to give it a second thought.
2.     In my mind, I can go to Europe at any age. I like to think it will be easier for me to travel around Europe when I’m older than it would be for Hong Kong or any other place in Southeast Asia. And a plus- the current exchange rate for Hong Kong is a much better for the U.S. dollar than the Euro. J
3.     It’s Hong Kong; it’s a cosmopolitan city. It used to be a British colony and is now part of China. It’s a booming city that will play an important role in worldwide business, trade, media etc. And it’s not a suburb like Geneva or my hometown. I’ve always wanted to go to school or live in the city and living in the cosmopolitan city will give me the experience I’ve always dreamed of. In addition, most people will speak English (from what I’ve heard) so although language may be a barrier in some situations, I will still be able to communicate with most people.
4.     It’s a great location. I’ve been surrounded by water my entire life- I live right on the Atlantic Ocean, and go to school on Seneca Lake. Studying in Hong Kong will give me a chance to live by another body of water. Furthermore, when I was looking to study abroad, I knew I wanted to have the chance to travel to other places, and in Hong Kong, it couldn’t be easier- mainland China is available by multiple forms of transportation while Thailand, Vietnam, India, Taiwan, Japan, and many other countries are just a plane ride away.

As I prepare for the next four months abroad, I’ve been asked multiple times whether I am nervous or excited. Truthfully, I’m excited. I can’t wait to live in a different country, experience a different culture, challenge myself and try something new.

4 comments:

  1. Yayyyyyy Sara!!!

    -Jaci :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. So excited to read this and creep on you while you're away! And you must go to India, take lots of pictures, and tell me all about it!

    ReplyDelete